About Canadian Premier
For more than 60 years, Canadian Premier has been committed to providing financial security to Canadians and their families in the face of uncertainties. Canadian Premier offers group life, accident & sickness, credit and creditor insurance solutions to a number of leading financial institutions, retailers and affinity groups, insuring over 2 million Canadians and families coast-to-coast. Canadian Premier is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Securian Financial Group.
At Canadian Premier we know there’s nothing more important than treating each other with respect, compassion, understanding, and dignity. Even though our family has grown over the years, we still maintain the entrepreneurial spirit that got us started. Watch this video to learn more about our core values and our Canadian Premier family.
We are currently seeking a Senior Accountant for a (one-year) contract position who possess solid accounting, reporting, communication, organizational and analytical skills. The successful individual will support the monthly/quarterly/annual accounting and financial reporting related functions. This position reports to the Controller.
What you’ll be doing
- Monthly preparation of complex journal entries such as premium, reinsurance, loss and premium tax
- Actively monitor the performance of processes by reconciling accounts and analyzing transactions to ensure the existence, completeness, and accuracy of transactions
- Support the monthly, quarterly, and year-end legal entity financial close processes including the preparation of quarterly earnings and board reporting packages
- Assist the preparation and collaboration over year end financial statement & note disclosures and coordination with multiple internal teams and functions on internal and external audit
- Provide input to minimize operational risk and collaborate with key stakeholders to address system and reporting concerns
- Maintain and recommend improvements to reporting and internal control procedures
- Identify and streamline processes to improve efficiency and automation.
- Assist in special projects and other duties as assigned
- Review business agreements as directed to understand accounting, reporting and finance operational requirements and develop and implement standardized and automated processes to fulfill governance requirements
- Prepare accounting journal entries as needed accurately and in a timely manner
- Various investment accounting processes
What you’ll bring
- Completion of University degree in a relevant field, combined with a CPA designation
- Demonstrated success/experience with a minimum 5 years of related experience
- Solid computer skills, including Microsoft office suite and ability to work with general ledger and functionalities of reporting systems
- Strong organizational and analytical skills combined with a good business sense
- Ability to identify opportunities for improvement and process change and implement plans to address those changes
- Experience working and assisting the finance change initiatives is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to proactively follow up on identified issues and work toward resolution
- Proficient in time management and demonstrated adaptability when changes are required
- Ability to work independently
What’s in it for you
- Competitive base salary with Annual Incentive bonus plan
- Group Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP) with a company match for Deferred Profit-Sharing Plan (DPSP)
- Comprehensive group benefits program which includes medical, dental, Employee Assistance Program, Health Spending Account, Personal Spending Account and much more
- Paid time-off includes paid vacation, personal/sick time, wellness day, Stat holidays
- Professional growth and development opportunities through training and educational assistance programs
- A culture that promotes a healthy, fulfilling work-life balance though flexible workplace policy
- Discounted Goodlife memberships, and additional work perks
What you need to know
Canadian Premier is committed to providing a barrier-free work environment in concert with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Ontario Human Rights Code. As such, Canadian Premier will provide reasonable accommodations available to applicants with disabilities upon request during the recruitment process. Please contact email@example.com for accommodation requests.
If interested, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, or submit your application directly through LinkedIn.